Request a Record

How to request a record:
  • Check with the Records Information Management or local Freedom of Information officer (the Miami County Clerk) to determine whether the information you need is available.
  • You may be asked to submit your request for information in writing on the request form provided by this office.
  • Most records will be produced within three business days from the time the request is received. If the request is denied, you will receive a written explanation for the denial.
The Kansas Open Records Act recognizes that some records contain information which is private in nature. For this reason, the act lists a number of exceptions, which are found in K.S.A. 45-221. Records which are closed for this reason may include:
  • Personnel information of public employees
  • Medical treatment records
  • Records which are protected by the attorney-client privilege or the rules of evidence
  • Records containing personal information compiled for Census purposes
  • Notes and preliminary drafts
  • Records that are closed pursuant to Kansas or Federal Law